When Matt Hall, Andy Sum and Ben Weatherall a.k.a. Hipster Whale studio released Crossy Road on iOS on November 20 2014, no one could have known that this game will go through the roof.
As a voxel homage to Frogger Crossy Road reinvented the "catch'em all"-formular on mobile games with a fair monetization model. The formular paid out and Crossy Road broke all records. Here are a few facts about its success:
- Over 100,000,000 downloads so far.
- More than $10,000,000 earned by in-app purchases and non mandatory advertisement.
- Available for nearly all platforms like Android, iOS, Windows.
- 20 secret characters can be unlocked up to this point.
- 132 total characters (133 if you count in the Android robot).
- Cameo appearances by Psy, Pac-Man, Archie.
- Money spent on marketing: $0.
Congratulatons from our side as well. Let's see what Hipster Whale has up his sleeves.
If haven't played or heard of the game (are you serious?!), you can download it here: